Navigating the COVID-19 Crisis
Maybe it feels like the sky is falling. Take a deep breath and realize that you’re not alone. We’re in this together. We can meet people where they are and give them the support they so badly need.
While the health and safety of our population is the foremost priority, economic concerns are not far behind. Business must go on, but behaviors and attitudes will necessarily change. What role does marketing play in this landscape?
In a matter of weeks, the travel, entertainment, and food service industries have been severely curtailed, and the promise of more businesses being affected can be seen daily. How does a company prepare and plan to come out the other side in better shape?
What can you do right now?
First acknowledge that you don’t have all the answers
Our shared situation is new, to EVERYONE. Acknowledge you don’t have all of the answers. React, brainstorm options to adapt your business processes to meet the challenges, be creative, look for opportunities to get ahead of your competitors, and develop a PLAN OF ACTION.
Lead with a clear plan for your clients
This is SO IMPORTANT! Your clients are looking to your leadership right now more than ever. Step up and be there for them, come up with a plan. Be proactive and let clients know how you can support their business. This is the time to innovate and strive to become the VERY BEST VENDOR that your clients work with. Be positive and provide solutions.
Do the opposite of everyone else
Many right now will go into contraction mode. Many businesses during a downturn will cut their marketing and advertising – the very lifeblood to the business! You’ll be in a significantly BETTER POSITION in 3 months if you maintain or even expand your investment in marketing. Gain market share, jump ahead of your competition. Perhaps at a much lower cost than before.
The two most important areas to focus are…
1) Consistency of communication – Better communicate your offers, and position them as an urgent solution to a challenge rather than just a “nice to have.” It is critical to STAY IN FRONT of customers and prospects at this time. They will need your help and expertise….existing clients AND NEW CLIENTS.
2) Focus on sales conversions – Sharpen your sales skills. How can you lower the risk of partnering with you? Communicate to clients and prospects WHAT you are doing and WHY, not HOW.
- Talk to clients one-on-one to uncover what will be the most compelling challenge to help with NOW.
- Share how you’ve helped other clients, highlighting case studies & innovative solutions.
- Focus on results, return-on-investment and what success looks like.
- Consider “sweetening the pot” by extending a warranty, including additional services or accessories at a reduced rate, etc.
- Expand your tool set: use GoToMeeting, Join.me or Skype to have virtual meetings; we have a LOT of experience with remote meetings and are happy to help you get set up.
Be proactive, win more market share and when everything gets back to “normal”, you’ll be in great shape!
If we can answer any questions or help support your business, give us a call at 513-699-5196.