The Upright Communications team is both proud and grateful to be celebrating 25 years of serving the digital marketing needs of our clients. Since our founding, we’ve been dedicated to creating new sales opportunities for businesses in local, national, and international markets.
The marketing industry has seen dramatic evolution and transformation since the inception of the commercial internet. As an experienced marketing professional, our founder, Greg Frye, had the foresight to see those changes on the horizon in the early 90’s. By 1996, two years before the launch of Google, he started Upright Communications and began helping clients “stand up and join the evolution.”
Instrumental in achieving success for our clients has been our ability to stay at the forefront of an ever-changing internet and digital marketing landscape. In our early days, our service list included basics such as website design and maintenance, content creation, and search engine optimization. Today, that list has expanded to include a new generation of strategies for leveraging digital marketing success, including reputation management, usability studies, buyer interviews, and touchpoint analysis.
- World Wide Web – World Wide Web protocol, created by Tim Berners-Lee, made it easier for everyday users to access the internet.
- Mosaic (later called Netscape) Graphical Browser – Mosaic offered a user-friendly way to search the Web, allowing users to see words and pictures on the same page for the first time and to navigate using scrollbars and clickable links.
- Yahoo! Search Engine is Launched
- First Banner Ad – HotWired (later called Wired.com) sells the first banner ad on the internet
- Compuserve, America Online and Prodigy are Launched
- Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist are Launched
- Upright Communications is Founded
- Hotmail (HoTMaiL) – first web-based email provides free email to home internet users
- Google Search Engine is Launched
- WordPress Blog Publishing Platform is Launched
- LinkedIn is Launched
- Myspace is Launched
- Facebook is Launched
- Mozilla Firefox Browser is Launched
- YouTube is Launched
- Twitter is Launched
- Pinterest is Launched
- Instagram is Launched
- Snapchat is Launched
Listen to Getting Down to Digital for Further Celebration
In celebration of our 25th anniversary, our podcast hosts welcomed Greg Frye for his debut on Getting Down to Digital. Greg is the founder and president of Upright Communications, so it seemed only fitting to have him share his insight on starting Upright and advice for navigating business in digital marketing.